Followers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Join Us?

Hello my friends , hope you are all well . Welcome to my room . Just an update on Doug's progress. Thank you for all the Get Well Wishes he has received and to all those who have kept us in their thoughts and Prayers . Doug is so much more mobile now , not leaning on me at all when using his walking frame . His speech is really  clearer  and his appetite is returning . A long way to go yet but heading in right direction .
Well last night I made a card using a technique I had not thought about for ages .
I don't know the name for it but it's this....
Using an embossing folder and leaving a clear piece/ shape  for sentiment or an image . Mmm.. that   clear , not sure , but I'll try to show you .. This is the card I created

 The image is stamped onto unembossed oval shape . To achieve this I made a template from two pieces of cardboard taped together and  with an oval cut out. This is called a shim .

See how I have drawn shape of folder onto this template so that  I can see where oval cutout will be when I place the folder and cardstock on it . Then I place cardstock into folder as usual

And emboss with Big Shot. EDITTED HERE..
This is where you place the folder and card on top of the cardboard before running through the machine . Embossing is all about pressure , so where the oval is,  will be no pressure for the folder to impress the pattern from the folder onto card. The cardboard acts as a "thickness for added pressure"

For this example I chose this sentiment from Penny Black.

Rose Red card base with Whisper White card for embossing . Basic Black ink for image from Art Impressions. Sponged edges with Rose Red ink and black Rhinestones as embellishing .
Found tutorial for this here . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA8mEoNYHdk
Thank you for popping in hope that you found post interesting .
Catch you again soon , cheers for now , Shirley-Anne.

12 comments:

  1. I don't have embossing folders etc...but I would try that technique if I did- it looks great! Glad to hear about Doug's positive progress...Hope YOU are going well too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great technique - thanks for the tutorial.. i will definitely give this a go
    Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH WOW, thats an awesome technique, how cool!!!

    love it, I love that stamp too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunnig card as usual Shirley-Anne. I am so pleased to hear of doug's progress.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, your card is so elegant! What a great technique, thank you for a great tutorial! I am going to have to give this a try. I am glad to hear that Doug is doing better. I feel so very very bad, but I must have missed a post somewhere and did not know he was ill. I will keep you both in prayers.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shirley-Anne,

    Sorry I have been a bit caught up so could not visit as regularly as I wanted to...

    So glad that Doug is making good progress - thank the Lord!

    Thanks so much for sharing this technique - looks great. I will certainly try it.

    Your cards are fantastic. The one with the ladies looks so French while the green one has such a nice colour - so simple and EFFECTIVE.

    Hugs,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab idea, Shirley-Anne! The effect is just stunning!

    Here's a hug for Doug - I am sure he is drawing a lot of strength from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. havent a clue what the technique is called but its a brilliant effect, now all I need is a machine and an embossing folder to try it out lol...Im so pleased Doug is continuing to improve so well
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool technique...though I'm super dense and I'm not getting it. No worries, it's me...being out to lunch. It'll sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very elegant card!! I love this effect. Thanks for the tutorial.

    Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for adding in the extra instruction for a slow learner like me! Heehee!! Appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shirley,good to hear Doug is improving. I love your embossing idea .I haven't seen it before, but I am off to find some cardboard and give it a try!Brilliant!, Love Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading each one .
hugs Shirley-Anne